I'm allergic to an IKEA bed

February 2013 - This is just plain weird. I bought a new bed, at IKEA, to sleep in when me or my wife is sick so that we don't catch each others cold. Well, this seems to have nothing to do with plastics, but after a few nights of sleep, my eyes hurt like hell. What is going on with me?

If I put the bed outside and just sleep on the mattress on the floor, I'm all good. Sleeping in the bed again, fucks my eyes up.

As I'm an engineer, I did some experiments: sleeping in the same room but not in the bed, removing the sides and sleeping in the same room, removing the bottom and sleeping in the same room, taping all 'raw wood' up... all give the same results: itchy eyes.

This seems to be unrelated to plastics, but hey, my eyes might be oversensitive to more than just plastics.


Some pictures of the bed:











Update: I later figured out I might be sensitive to Formaldehyde as too, which at that time was still used in chipboard and mdf.

I have since been avoiding everything that's not solid wood and is has served me well. It also looks a lot better and lasts longer!

Comments