I'm allergic to glasses (again)

December 2012 - My ears started hurting with my new titanium Hugo Boss glasses. So my optician offered me some new from Tommy Hilfiger.


My wife and I went for a weekend to Leuven. We always go there once a year around Christmas as it is the city where I went to university, and they have spectacular Christmas market.

After that weekend, I started having an itchy feeling at my right eye. I thought it was the bedding or some sort but after a day of work, the irritation got bigger and I couldn't stand it anymore.

So I looked up an allergologist and found Dr. De Lange: http://www.allergiecentrumgent.be 

I also told her about all the other problems I have been experiencing. She herself has a big dust mite problem so she first thought that might be the problem. She did some test on my eyes, putting like 'dust mite drops' in them and man, they got red as hell :-( Damn, I was allergic to dust mites too.

But that didn't explain the issues with the glasses. She eventually theorised that I might be allergic to the frames and send me to Leuven (!) were they did some Patch tests: that's sticking things to my back and checking if I get an allergic reaction to them. Off course, Leuven is like 1 hour and half drive, so my back started sweating and I suspect the test didn't go that well as they found nothing :-(


Tommy Hilfiger frames.


The "specs" of the Tommy Hilfiger glasses and BBGR lenses:
Frame material:
plastics + metal in the front
Frame brand:
Tommy Hilfiger
Lens brand:
BBGR
Lens material:
1.67
nd:
1.67
Lens coating:
Nano
Pupil distance:
-
Prescription:
Right

Left
SFR
CYL
AS

SFR
CYL
AS
-4.75
-3.50
180°

-6.50
-1.00
180°


I eventually went back to using my old glasses from 2007.


Comments