I'm allergic to my new car

September 2012, Just bought a new car, a Renault Megane. After driving around with it for about 3 days, my right eye felt horrible again. The only thing I could think of was that I must have been allergic to the "smell of a new car".

I solved the problem by switching cars with my wife. I'm now driving with a Suzuki Swift where I have little to no problems with my eyes.

I also got pills from the doctor: Rupatall, which seemed to help a bit, but not that much.


Update: we sold the car in 2017. My wife still drove it and I still had an itchy feeling whenever I drove it. But I narrowed the source of the itchiness down to the plastic around the center display. If I cover that up, the itchiness fades and I can drive at least 45 minutes without an itch!

The car ready for sale (5 years later)

Notice the display at the center of the car (on the right).


The display
Close up of the display



I suspect it might be the shiny plastic around the display itself. I theorised that 'shiny' smooth plastic can't hold any dust particles. That means the plastic can't be covered up by dust and thus the plastic will always be in direct contact with the air.



Comments